a new video uploaded of house designed by DRKdesign. check out the updated realtor listing here.
See original post here : 8500 fairdell crescent, richmond
designed by : DRKdesign
built by : owner/builder in 2015 [listed for 3.49mil, 2017-relisted for 3.28mil]
photography by : snowchimp creative
the house is currently on the market and here is the link to the listing.
a short blurb by the realtor:
this westcoast contemporary custom built home is located in the reputable seafair neighborhood in richmond. spectacular ocean views from this truly magnificent luxury family residence situated on a professionally landscaped estate property in this most prestigious location. this exceptional modern home offers a stunning open design with spacious principal rooms, large floor to ceiling windows and the patio space on the house with water view is significantly larger than normal. the back yard faces west overlooking georgia straight from sunshine coast to vancouver island. extremely high quality boasts every luxury feature imaginable.
douglas park twins
designed by : DRKdesign
built by : marman developments in 2015 [listed for 2.19mil]
photography by : silvija crnjak
due to the narrow floorplate, making bedroom spacious enough was a key concern, which was solved by offsetting the two front bedrooms with a balcony filling in the space and allowing a large corner window in the bedroom while ensuring neighbor’s privacy.
in order to bring natural light into the center of the building, a large rectangular skylight was used in combination with an open stairs extending down two floors.
the basement included a secondary suite with a living space and kitchen and one bedroom and bath, with a sunken patio off the back of the house. In order for a functional layout below grade, the sunken patio was made as wide as possible and full height glazing extend the space visually beyond.
the main floor consisting of entry, living/kitchen/dining space and powder room was kept as open as possible yet, spaces feel separated due to location of kitchen in center of the space but visually open through to back of house and to the yard beyond.
exterior features a flat roofline with expansive windows to bring in light.
here is the blurb on the house from the realtor:
unique “cube house” with the perfect family feel in sought-after cambie! this modern home has clean lines, upscale finishings and millwork throughout with a thoughtful floor plan. the “lawn free” landscaping creates a low maintenance, but gorgeous front and back yard. main floor is open and bright with high ceilings and a stunning chef’s kitchen. use of millwork is extensive and topped off with a feature floating fireplace in the living room. a stunning staircase leads you to the upper level where you’ll find 3 bedrooms with high ceilings again and two full well appointed baths. lower level is perfect with a flexible rec room/media room or play room. downstairs a 1 bedroom legal suite adds wonderful revenue potential. a double garage and walkability to cambie’s best parks complete the package.
– roxul cavityrock md 1.5″ exterior insulation provides superior long-term thermal & acoustic performance
– venmar avs heat recovery ventilator system with advanced blower design for quiet operation
– radiant in-floor heating
– ‘nest’ smart thermostat
– viessman on demand heat
– monitored security alarm system with dsc touchscreen pad with 7″ full color display, slim modern design (800×480 resolution), intuitive led indication of security system status, picture frame feature, intuitive user interface
– aiphone hands-free color video intercom
– 4x high definition night vision cameras with digital video recorder
– built-in sound system
– professionally designed lawn-free landscaping
– millwork and cabinetry by q point
main floor features:
– custom millwork with whitewashed maple and cherry wood wall paneling, and matching pocket door for main floor powder room
– imported italian tribeca porcelain tiles throughout the entire main floor
– custom side-mount steel and glass stair railings
– solid white oak stairs and runners with built in stair lighting
– oversized milgard windows and sliding doors with roller blinds
– 50” electric linear fireplace
– outfitted with hdmi cords above fireplace
– fisherpaykel activesmart refrigerator
– fisherpaykel double drawer smart wash dishwasher
– fisherpaykel 30″ gas range convection oven
– panasonic built-in microwave
– miele stainless steel hood fan
– gorgeous granite counters
– double undermount stainless steel sink with grohe pulldown faucet
– oversized long working centre island
– excellent storage and work surface space
upper floor features:
– oversized elongated skylight above stairs for loads of light
– 3 excellent bedrooms with generous closets
– lovely master suite with double closet with frosted glass doors
– oversized private balcony off the master with privacy frosted glass
– engineered flooring throughout
– whirlpool steam stacker washer/dryer in extra deep closet
master ensuite features:
– double kohler undermount sinks
– granite counters
– kohler toilet
– walk in oversized shower
– grohe rainhead shower and faucet
– oversized window provides loads of light
– high quality bathroom fixtures including duravit bathtub and grohe faucets.
– use of hohler sinks, toilets
– granite counters
lower floor features:
– excellent space for media room, play room, rec room with over height ceilings and closet
– self contained legal basement suite. suite kitchen features stainless steel appliance package and cabinets matching with main floor kitchen.
designed by : DRKdesign
built by : marman developments in 2015 [listed for 2.23mil]
modern living at its finest in desirable douglas park! open layout with 10 ft ceiling on main, tons of natural light from oversized windows and glass panelled interior doors, custom millwork featuring whitewashed maple and cherry, imported Italian tiles, premium kitchen appliances including double drawer dishwasher. three bedrooms above, mountain view from master. basement legal suite with option as 1 or 2 bedrooms. downtown, trendy main st, queen elizabeth park, granville island, you’ll be in the middle of it all from this stunning new home.
look forward to another post with professional photos of both houses and a more architectural point of view of this project.
designed and built by : kore residential with construction drawings produced by yours truly.
it’s truly the details that differentiate this stunning new home. the curb appeal is accentuated by the custom entrance door, exterior pot lights & sconces, cantilevered decks & awnings, all of which accent the architecture. the interior is flawless and each finish was chosen to inspire. this sophisticated 3-level, 3-bed home is wired for all your technology needs, including a sonos sound system for distributed audio. modern white oak engineered wood floors on the main level set the stage for the designer inspired kitchen including fisher/paykel appliances, & modular creations cabinetry. the master retreat above has soaring vaulted ceilings, and this home features radiant heat with air-conditioning! this modern home has a very inviting feel.
the basement, main and upper floor plans are laid out for maximum efficiency for a narrow site.
the kitchen is located in the centre of the house for access to dining room at east side of house (by the entry) and the main family living space.
the living room features a linear fireplace and tv alcove. large doors open onto deck with access to the western yard.
the bedroom has a high ceiling to give a visual/spacial comfort in an otherwise small footprint.
the basement living room has a large linear window for natural light.
the backyard has been enclosed with horizontally-applied fencing, and ensures adequate privacy even with adjacent homes within a few feet.
architect : alan endall
built in : 2007 by davidson walker construction [2010 – sold for 2.87mil, 2012 – listed in jun for 3.99mil – relisted in oct for 3.48mil, 2013 – sold in feb for 3.24mil]
interior designer : celine interiors
a short blurb on the house by the realtor:
designed by award winning vancouver architect alan endall, this home is an incomparable piece of architectural genius. steel beam construction with extensive use of travertine, basal and concrete. high end finishings and incomparable attention to detail. breathtaking main floor with sky high ceilings surrounded by unreachable windows. a glass nano wall opens to escalating terraces of fantastic entertaining spaces surrounded by manicured gardens. sophistication and artistic features encompass the almost 3,000sq. ft. of luxurious living space opening freely into designer gardens that speak of privacy and the best things in life. quietly secluded in this upscale neighbourhood, you must see it to understand.
a few good links to follow:
2013-02-09 update : The house has recently been sold for 3.24mil. Vancouver sun article mentions the sale.
a simple modest box design with lush and exciting green space surrounding it, once again in a sea of gag-inducing craftsman houses.
architect : norman hotson who lives in the house.
built in : 2011
the entry sequence. from the sidewalk, one is greeted by a narrow opening in the fence. fence material is continuous along the wall that separates the walkway and stairs down into the yard and the landscape area west of the entry. the walkway and stairs are concrete, a continuation of the of the tactility of the sidewalk. along the south side of the walkway towards the front entry, a water feature creates audible separation from the street. a simple glazed door and full-height window provide access to the house at the entryway.
the corner of the house with cedar fence. a well screened yard-space offers a place to go out from the living room with floor-to-ceiling glazing. windows along the upper floors are reduces in size to ensure privacy.
the garage from the lane and back gate blends in with the fence. to reduce visual impact of the garage, a flush-panel roll-up door is implemented. the side door to the yard is cleverly designed and built to match the fence and blend in.